birding-aus

Capertee Valley conditions

To: "Troy Mutton" <>, <>
Subject: Capertee Valley conditions
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:19:41 +1100
Hi Troy and all,

It's 2 weeks since I've been to the valley - since before the floods - but yes, the road was cut at the Capertee River bridge but is open again now. I was speaking to someone in the valley by phone last night and apparently there's a huge amount of water around, whole paddocks flooded, the creek at Glen Alice was a raging torrent, etc.

The following blog has some info and photos of the road etc:
http://tinyurl.com/3agwk6k
On the right-hand side are links to further photos.

Bird-wise, things are pretty good but as with everywhere, widely dispersed and the more nomadic species are further inland. This year has been a very poor one for flowering eucalypts so Regent Honeyeaters are almost impossible to find. Also very few Painted Honeyeaters though I did hear one on 26th Nov. Birds which are around in reasonable numbers include Turquoise Parrots, all the finches, doves, quails (Stubble, Brown, Painted), Speckled Warbler and all the other small insectivores, the resident honeyeaters, etc. The 3-way junction 5km before Glen Davis has been a good spot for Plum-headed Finches recently.

Have a great visit and let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Carol