birding-aus

Silver Gull Aerial Predation

To: "Jon Irvine" <>
Subject: Silver Gull Aerial Predation
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:46:51 +1100
It is not just Silver Gulls that do this. Most nights you can see Herring Gulls wheeling around over the old city in Istanbul.
I guess it is just a Gull thing.
Cheers,

Carl Clifford

On 09/12/2010, at 10:00 PM, Jon Irvine wrote:

Several months ago there was a B-Aus post asking about Silver Gulls flying around the top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge at night. Some suggested that
this behaviour was associated with feeding on insects attracted to the
lights at the top of the bridge. I have just captured a shot from my balcony of a Silver Gull amongst a flock of 50-100 birds circling near my apartment at Homebush Bay. On a warm Sydney night they were snapping up tiny insects
flying in the air. A photo of one of the protagonists is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calidris-photos/5246339346/

Please excuse the crudity of the photo; I have enjoyed a few glasses of
Pinot Gris which has obviously impacted on my photographic abilities.
However, you can see that the gull is homing in on a very tiny object. It's pleasing to see that these gulls, at least, expend some energy in catching
live prey rather than cashing in on human left-overs.

Jon Irvine