birding-aus

Camera repairs?

To: Tom Tarrant <>
Subject: Camera repairs?
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 14:01:17 +1100
Hi Tom,
I've had an underwater housing flood for my DSLR while scuba diving.
Luckily it was insured. Here's a few rules you need to follow when cameras
and salt water mix:
1.\ Turn the camera off straight away and remove the batteries.  Saltwater
is conductive and you'll get all sorts of short circuits going on if you
have power going through the circuitry.
2.\ Once you get it home, open it up, and flush it out with fresh water,
try to get all the salt off the circuitry.You can clean up circuit boards
with a  bit of alcohol.  If your convinced that the whole DSLR body would
have been innudated with saltwater, you'll have to submerse the unit in
fresh water also to makes sure you can flush all the salt out. (Unless
your willing to disassemble the whole DSRL circuitry and clean up each
board individually).
3.\ Once your happy you have got all the salt residue out, leave it to dry
for a good couple of days.
4.\ Use a hairdryer to make sure your convinced there is no more water in
any of the circuitry, then you can replace the batteries, turn it on, and
hope like hell.
A fully submersed DSLR body in salt water is usually a goner, however, if
you removed the batteries straight away, you have some hope of recovery.
For more info, google  camera housing flood and theres plenty of info on
what to do.
good luck!
peter