birding-aus

Racism and parrots

To: Helen Larson <>, John Harris <>, Debbie Lustig <>, Brian Fleming <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Racism and parrots
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:15:59 +0930
Thanks very much Helen, and sorry for the delay in sending this - I've been
ill.  I think the subtleties are difficult for many to grasp, but I felt I
had to try.  and here I'm going to expand on what I wrote in light of some
other comments that have been made.

Andrew, in his excellent email, mentions the feelings of Douglas, a
traditional owner, about trespassers.  But the feelings  go deeper than just
the act of trespassing.   My relatives view white strangers with alarm,
particularly when they appear on country.  I shall give a  relatively recent
and graphic example of why.

Some years ago, senior women relatives told me of police officers in Arnhem
Land who were assaulting Bininj (Aboriginal people). One of my
sisters-in-law was beaten nearly unconscious by an officer in an attempted
rape.  Another case involved a police officer trying to speak to a relative
who, frightened of the officer, had been avoiding him.  The policeman, a
bull of a man, twisted my skinny little relative's arm up behind his back,
and in agony and fear, my relative bit him.  The testimony of myriad
Indigenous witnesses differed, of course, from that of the one white
witness.   The result?  Gukguk (grandson) spent nine months in jail after
being found guilty of assaulting a police officer.

Together we women and some of the men tried to do something about such
policemen.   This did not go down well.  One officer, on discovering I was
involved in attempts to have him removed told my relatives I'd 'vanish' if I
returned to Arnhem Land.   Now, if this policeman could openly threaten me,
what could he do to Bininj.  People were terrified.  Men fled to the bush to
hide, leaving in many instances, women to cope with the situation.

Such balanda undermined a lot of the good work carried out by other
officers, and people in other fields, eg medical staff and teachers, and
Bininj were suspicious of virtually everyone.  I'll never forget driving
into a very remote outstation in central Arnhem Land with my father-in-law,
the senior traditional owner for that place, only to find it deserted.  The
women, having heard a strange vehicle, fled in terror with the children.
They told us two balanda strangers had turned up some weeks before, and they
felt threatened.

Yet there is so much the wider society could learn, particularly from people
such as the Kunwinjku  For example, at least on outstations, they do not
'waste' people - everybody is seen as useful, from toddlers to old people,
and all have a role to play in the community.  Contrast the attitudes to
seniors, particularly women, between western and Kunwinjku society.  Among
my relatives, it is a compliment to be addressed as 'old lady', as I often
am.  Now, who among the Birding Aus chatliners would own up to being an 'old
lady' a derogatory term in western society?

And then there are the children.  Whereupon westerners like to think of
children as sacred, in reality they're treated as useless and incompetent.
Yet among the Kunwinjku children learn to take responsibility for others and
themselves from the time they're knee high to a grasshopper.  My son, Rowan,
was only three when he was presented with a newborn infant and told he was a
'little daddy'.  This is how Kunwinjku kids learn to become competent
parents and responsible members of society.  The traditional ways of
education resemble that of Montessori education - learn by doing.

And then there's the negative attitudes.  Helen, remember Rowan, my son?  I
think you last saw him in 1995, when he was ten.  He is  'little daddy' to
several Aboriginal children.  When his school mates found out about this
relationship, they told him it was 'nothing to be proud of', because all
Aboriginal people were 'dirty drunks'.

How does one fight such attitudes?  My very shy semi-traditional son, an
Anglican minister, and biological father of Rowan's children visited Rowan's
class and tried to explain in his limited English, Rowan's role as a 'little
daddy', and how proud he was of his little brother.  Djedje (meaning 'my
child') was so scared he was shaking.  Courage to me is a small Aboriginal
man facing a class of children who had labelled him and his children, and
trying to defend his little brother.

Then take the efforts of the  Anangu elders to free Lindy Chamberlain, a
person they believed to be innocent.  This despite, their negative attitudes
towards both white people and in particular tourists who visited Uluru. I
only know of their efforts, because, after failing to make an impression on
Alice Springs police, elders sent messages through my Larrakia relatives,
asking me to help.  Such people are my heroes.  Sports stars and twitchers
with huge lists simply cannot measure up to such courage, in my opinion.

We're still fighting.   It's not just about recognising culture, but about
building trust and friendship.  And there are many ways of doing this, and
anyone interested is welcome to read my book 'Quiet Snake Dreaming, about
being a member of an Aboriginal clan.  I'm prepared to make copies of  '
available, free of charge, to any Birding Aus chatliner who wants more
in-depth knowledge of people such as the Kunwinjku.

Kunwinjku elders said QSD and another of my stories, 'The Baby'  would
'bring about understanding' between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people.
And they're still hoping.  So am I.

'The Baby', originally published by Ita Buttrose, back in the early 1990s,
is widely available on the web.

By the way, 'old' to my relatives means 'wise'.
Denise