birding-aus

windfarms and bats

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, "'Stuart Cooney'" <>, "'Keith Brandwood'" <>, <>
Subject: windfarms and bats
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:57:46 +1100
Some research papers have been published in the last few months which
demonstrate that significantly more insects are attracted to white and
light-grey turbines than those that are darker in colour. So if bats are
attracted to wind turbines to feed on these insects, they risk being killed
by wind turbines (either from barotrauma or by being struck by a moving
blade).

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW