birding-aus

RFI: Old Bar, Myall Lakes and Coff's Harbour area.

To: "'Tony Keene'" <>
Subject: RFI: Old Bar, Myall Lakes and Coff's Harbour area.
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:25:20 +1100
Tony, the BSC are resident at the Manning Estuary.  I do a wader survey there
every month and I see them 4-6 times/year.  The most likely place to see them
is at Mudbishops Point (aka Farquhar Inlet) about 1.5km from Old Bar.  Go
through Old Bar, turn left immediately after the airport, go 1.0 km, park
(there's a parking area), then walk alongside the lagoon heading towards the
inlet of the Manning River.  Sometimes the BSC are roosting in the dunes along
there (which is fenced off to help protect a Little Tern colony) or they can be
seen on one of the islands within the lagoon.  However, in the breeding season
(i.e. now) they are very hard to find - their preferred nesting site is not
accessible by foot (requires a boat).

For some background information about the birds at Mudbishops Point, take a
look at a paper I wrote for The Whistler.  It is available on-line at
http://www.hboc.org.au/index.cfm?menukey=11  (this link is to a sub-section of
the HBOC website - I suggest you also check out the birding routes material
available there).

One of the Radjah Shelducks at Myall Lakes died last year.  The other bird
moves around quite a bit - it has been seen at various of the camping/picnic
areas within the NP, and also on/near the river at Bulahdelah. Can be hard to
find, and I have not heard any reports of it for a few months now.

Jacana are sometimes recorded at Cattai Wetlands, near Taree.  It is not
officially open to the public but the Taree Council workers don't seem to mind
visits by well behaved birdwatchers. Entry is via Springhill Rd, which is about
1.5km north of the Harrington turn-off from the Pacific Highway.  Once you are
in Springhill Rd, follow it until you come to a locked gate (2-3 km along).
There's also a jacana site near Mulbring, but that's quite a lot further south.

Alan Stuart