birding-aus

Princess Parrot update

To: "" <>
Subject: Princess Parrot update
From: Chris Pavey <>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:19:48 +0930
Hi All,

Further to Tim's email this morning re the Princess Parrots, I run the group in
the NT government that has been working with the CLC on Princess Parrots and I
thought I'd provide an update. Two of our staff (Peter Nunn and Andrew
Schubert) were at the site yesterday and this morning and they report continued
good numbers of Princess Parrots in the area. They observed juveniles being fed
but also saw evidence of courtship and nest inspection. It continues to be a
spectacular sight.

I understand from Sam Rando at CLC that there are still vacant spots on a
number of days so if anyone was hesitating because of uncertainty about the
birds being present I hope this will help you make up your mind.

The best location for PPs was marked by Peter and Andrew and I've informed the
CLC and the traditional owner of its location so the tours will go straight to
this spot.

Its taken a lot of effort to open this opportunity for birders and its an
important (and novel) step for the CLC to be doing something like this. So I'd
encourage everyone with the interest (and capacity) to see the birds to take up
the opportunity. If the birds continue to be in the area into the future, I'm
sure the CLC will be open to adding new dates for visitation.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Pavey
Biodiversity Conservation Division
Department of Natural Resources, Environment, the Arts & Sport (NRETAS)
Northern Territory Government
PO Box 1120
Alice Springs 0871