birding-aus

Re: Brown colour Tattler

To: "'birdingaus'" <>
Subject: Re: Brown colour Tattler
From: "Mark Young" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:22:59 +1100
G'day everyone,

Today I noticed a Grey-tailed Tattler that was noticeably different from the
other Grey-tailed Tattlers.

This bird was noticabley brown in colour, though has the same feet and bill
colour and length as the other Tattlers. It's head and general appearance
was rather dishevelled and had only a faint supercillium just in front of
the eyes. I can't find any info that mentions the browny colour to the upper
feathers, though I don't have HANZAB or other resources.

The first 2 links are of for pictures of this particular bird. When seen
with the other birds, the difference in colour is very striking, even when
viewed in overcast conditions of this afternoon.

This link is of the bird with another adult. http://bit.ly/bA5Oda

This link is of the same bird with 4 other Tattlers. http://bit.ly/c7TqfK

I also saw another couple of Tattlers that I thought may have been
Juveniles. There was some white flecking to the fringes of the scapular and
covert feathers. At the time I thought it reminded of the same pattern in
the feathers of Wood Sandpipers.

I was hoping someone could also look at the following link and let me know
if I am looking at a juvenile bird or not. http://bit.ly/9qclvc

Regards,

Mark