birding-aus

Pursuing the Great Outdoors

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Pursuing the Great Outdoors
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:16:28 +1100
G'day Birding-Ausers

You could do what the Kiwis have done:

Case 1. Massey Univ. wanted to set up a study area without any deer. They built the fence, called it an exclosure, then hired a deer hunter to eliminate all the deer inside. After a few weeks he claimed he had. They hired a second deer shooter & he got ten or more, then a third who got about five, then a fourth who got two or three.
The area was then ready for natives only.

Case 2. The NZ environment department wanted all cats off Little Barrier Island to protect some seabirds that were becoming rare, and so it would be safe to place some rare landbirds on the island as an insurance policy. They got the army out ,and then the gun clubs, and then a cat virus. In the end it worked. BUT within a few months if my memory is correct they caught a bloke rowing out to the island with a cat on board that he planned to release on Little Barrier Island.

Takes all types: & looks as if a range of methods can work.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Tarburton