birding-aus

Fwd: [Raptor_conservation] photographers threaten endangered Hen Harrier

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Fwd: [Raptor_conservation] photographers threaten endangered Hen Harriers in Holland
From: david taylor <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:16:29 +1000

Its seems to me that on a site like birding-aus there would now be very many
birders who photograph birds, and in my opinion barbs at bird photographers as
a group achieves very little.  As in all things in life  there will be isolated
 incidents of concern which we should all learn from, but  personally i think
that the contribution of photographers ( whether am or pro)  over recent years
has been generally nothing short of amazing, and has presented wonderful images
and information on birds and highlighted birds and birding in ways we could not
have imagined just a few years ago.

cheers

David Taylor

On 11/11/2010, at 12:04 PM,  wrote:

> "Both nests had been the focus of attention of
> photographers, as visible from the trampling of vegetation"
>
> Do you know something that was not in the text Carl?
>
> It seems it is just not journalists that put 1 & 1 together to make 3 ;-).
>
> However chances are we will marvel at some wonderful close-up footage by
> David Attenborough  & his professional mates on a Sunday night in the future.
> "How do they get those shots?"
> All the while  maintaining the divisions; Twitcher good, Professional
> photographer good, Amateur photographer bad..
>
> Chris Charles
>

> On Thu Nov 11 8:09 , Carl Clifford sent:
>
> Another case of bird photographers behaving badly.
>
> Carl Clifford
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Stanley Moore <>
> Date: 11 November 2010 11:00:24 AM
> Subject: [Raptor_conservation] photographers threaten endangered Hen
> Harriers in Holland
>

> Notes: photographers threaten endangered Hen Harriers in Holland

> FN ISI Export Format
> VR 1.0
> PT J
> AN ZOOR14611079940
> DT Article
> TI Disturbances at nests of hen harriers Circus cyaneus.
> FT Nestverstoringen bij Blauwe Kiekendieven Circus cyaneus.
> AU de Boer, Peter
> SO Takkeling
> VL 18
> IS 2
> PS 105-107
> PY 2010
> LA Dutch
> ME Print
> AB The Hen Harrier is a rare breeding bird in The Netherlands, nearing
> its extinction rapidly. Only 19 pairs were recorded in 2009, of which
> 17 on the Wadden Sea Islands; this is just 15% of the numbers
> registered in 1994. On the island of Terschelling, two nests were
> disturbed in 2009. Both nests had been the focus of attention of
> photographers, as visible from the trampling of vegetation and the
> creation of clearly visible paths to the nest. One of these nests is
> supposed to have been raided for commercial purposes (chicks
> removed),
> at the other nest one of the chicks was found nearby, deliberately
> trampled to death. Both nests may have been easier to find by people
> with bad intentions because of the behaviour of photographers. Codes
> of conduct for photographers are now available from several
> organisations, and disturbances are therefore unnecessary.
> C1 de Boer, Peter; Keerweer 23, 6862 CD Oosterbeek, Netherlands
> EM
> SN 1380-3735
> BD Animals and man; Conservation; Techniques; Behavioural techniques;
> Ecology; Population dynamics; Land zones; Palaearctic region;
> Eurasia;
> Europe
> DE Circus cyaneus [Disturbance by man / Nest destruction / ] [Endangered
> [...]

David Taylor
Brisbane