birding-aus

Golden Bowerbird

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Golden Bowerbird
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:24:27 +1000
Greetings,
I have been away from this list for some time. First away, then busy, then
computer problems, then away again but now I am back on line.

As promised last year, I have found a Golden Bowerbird bower reasonably easy to
access on public land and am making that knowledge public. I ask that people
take care as the hill is steep and can be slippery in the wet and the dry.
Please act quietly around the bower without disturbing the seedlings and
saplings growing there. Also it is best not to walk where others have before
you and make a slippery track.

Unfortunately it is not a good bower for photography. If you really need to
photograph the bower can I suggest that you scout around and come at it from
down the hill. I have a better one, but reserve that for my customers.

>From the turn off to the Crater, Mt Hypipamee, drive 3.2 kilometres south
>along Highway One.
If in a conventional vehicle it is best to park here, leaving the road clear
for work vehicles.
400 metres up slope you come to a crest. If in a 4WD park just over the crest
out of the track or near the bottom of the dip where there is room to turn
around.
25 metres down the other side from the crest there is a large, rough barked
tree with a huge burl at chest height on the right of the track. Upslope a
metre or two is a Kauri. Just upslope of that one can see where people have
entered the forest.
The bird's bower is within 35 metres of here down slope to the south.
While keeping the gully on your left, zig zag down the slope directly away form
the track, looking for a huge pile of sticks 5-10 metres out of the gully. The
upslope tower is around three small trees and the down slope tower around a
vine. If you go too far right you'll come to a larger Kauri with pink tape
around it. Head due east.

The bird mostly sits in small trees to the south-west of his bower. He is
accommodating but dislikes having the saplings wave about. He takes well to
flash photography but this makes the feathers look very hard.

Golden Bowerbirds spend a lot of time sitting around in the vicinity of their
bowers and do not visit them often. This year they all seem to be calling very
little and not loudly when they do call.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road