birding-aus

New Bird for Australia

Subject: New Bird for Australia
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 15:47:21 +1100
Well, what a sorry state of affairs.

At least here in Gloucester, mid-north coast NSW, when I email copy to our local paper, the Gloucester Advocate, they usually paste it straight into their copy so, unless I have had to change something, usually due to shortage of space, any errors are likely to be mine!

However I frequently see birds misidentified in the Sydney Morning Herald. I suppose any news is better than none.

I have worked many times with serious journalists who research matters and
don't get things wrong. The BBC have a policy where all facts have to go via at
least two (maybe three) independent people before being used. They also have a
policy on articles being read and queried prior to publication, by anyone
quoted within. Where I have worked with good journalists, such as alongside WWF
on Montara last year, they are very careful to report the facts and not to
sensationalise. I have to say, such journalists tend to be in the minority and
many seem to be employed by The Australian. But for the time being, we live in
a world of quantity, not quality. To change things, we have to stop reading the
drivel.

All the best,

Simon.