birding-aus

Juvenile White Bellied Sea Eagle trying to steal an Osprey's lunch (pict

Subject: Juvenile White Bellied Sea Eagle trying to steal an Osprey's lunch (picture)
From: Belinda Cassidy <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:29:27 +1000
I took this pic on fraser Island during bird week in May, and Dad (Harry)
thought some of you might  find it interesting.

This beautiful Juvenile White bellied sea eagle was barely out of the nest
and still very brown/buff in colour.  We noticed during our stay that it
would sneak over to a nearby Island during the day, and return in the
evenings alone.

During one of the boat tours during the Bird Week activities, we went past
the Island and got a look at what it was up to. Around about 5 Ospreys were
on the Island, with at least one nest there. So there was plenty of fishing
going on. Hard to know if the White Bellied Sea Eagle had adopted them as an
unwilling family, or was hassling them in hope they'd drop their catch.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/OzHomeARt/raptors-belinda.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Belinda