birding-aus

Tasmanian Supeb Lrebirds and mimicry

Subject: Tasmanian Supeb Lrebirds and mimicry
From: "Richard Jordan" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:47:09 +1000
Hi everyone,

Carol is correct: i did some work on the lyrebirds around Hastings Cave,
Tasmania something like 3 years ago (I am in the UK at the moment with a
very bad internet connection and none of my notes - but I wrote a paper
for the journal of the Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Society - I
will send details when I get home to anyone interested). I am convinced
that the lyrebirds were still mimicing male whipbirds after 60 years, and
possibly female whipbirds. The calls had degraded considerably, but were
quite distinctive on the sonagram. A possible Pilotbird I decided was a
Golden Whistler. No other Victorian species were detectable. I would be
happy to send some sample recordings to anyone interested when I get home
in late November.

Best regards,  Richard

Richard Jordan
PO Box 449