birding-aus

Morcombe field guide released as an iPhone/iPod touch app

To: "David Adams" <>
Subject: Morcombe field guide released as an iPhone/iPod touch app
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:40:46 +1100
After reading a few comments and replies, I think I will have to reassess
my views on the price! I think we iApp addicts are so used to getting
great little gadgets that we forget we are buying SOFTWARE - and until the
iPhone/iPod came along, we would have had to pay a lot more for even the
simple games and utilities we can now buy for a couple of dollars. The
software equivalent for the Morecombe field guide, if one was available in
this country, would probably have cost $100 or more - I can't remember
what I paid for the Simpson & Day CD-ROM, but I remember I considered it
expensive and very limited in functionality. I haven't used the new
Morecombe guide yet (perhaps we should be calling it Morecombe &
Stewart??) but I will be getting one after I finish an exam in couple of
weeks - no play until then!

Anyway, I thought I should make it clear that I am not grumbling about the
price at all - I initially thought they'd pitched it too high, but I can
see many reasons why they probably have it about right - and it is a
bargain when you compare the iApp features with what you get in the book!

Russell