birding-aus

Jack's Sabah trip report

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Bird alert Alert" <>
Subject: Jack's Sabah trip report
From: " Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:12:45 +1000
Hi folks,

Jack's latest trip report is available on wildairies with the link
http://sabah.birds.wildiaries.com/trips/10322

We will be off to Reunion, Mauristius and Madagascar in less than 2 weeks , so
I am glad that Jack has finished this report before we head out on the next
adventure.

We had an amazing trip with over 300 bird species as well as numerous mammals,
reptiles and others.....numerous highlights included Bornean Ground-Cuckoo,
Flat-headed Cat, Banded Civet...all the sunbirds, most of the barbets, trogons
and flowerpeckers.

As a point of potential interest, I note, after reading up on Birding-Aus
emails, that there has been a lot of excitment regarding the Arctic Tern in
Melbourne. We had a similar situation with at least 2 Aleutian Terns in the
harbour near Kota Kinabalu. They are listed as rare visitors to Sarawak in
Susan Myer's book, A Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo. Apparently though,
they were recorded in the same area this time last year. Anyway, ternaholics
may be interested in Jack's ID description along with some reasonable shots. We
also saw an Arctic Jaegar on the same speedboat trip to clean up the mangrove
stuff on Manukan Is. The jaegar is listed as a vagrant with one record from
Sabah and Sarawak!...Possibly very little seabirding is done in that part of
the world.

Anyway, thank you to Chris Barnes (Mr Chris as he was called in
Sabah....despite actually being a medical doctor, so Dr Chris would have been
more appropriate), who organized the trip (his 3rd visit), Karen and Jack,
along with the fantastic locals who helped us whilst over there.

Enjoy....the expanded view is best with Jack's report I think.,

Cheers,

Bill