birding-aus

Birding Uluru-Kata Tjuta Natioanl Park 16-19 October

To: <>
Subject: Birding Uluru-Kata Tjuta Natioanl Park 16-19 October
From: AJ Knue <>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:04:00 -0700
Hello All-

I just ended 3+ days at the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park and thought I would
post some highlights. We had some amazing weather with daytime highs 19-23 C
and a virtual lack of flies. Flowers were pretty abundant and everything was
green. Birds were likewise abundant. Masked Woodswallows were present in the
many hundreds if not thousands along the roadsides. Pied Honeyeater was also
everywhere- you could randomly stop anywhere and hear one singing. Saw one
Black Honeyeater this morning along the road near the Cultural Center. Also
found 2 singing Redthroats- one at the junction of the road to Kata Tjuta and
and the road to Kaltukatjura/ WA and another on the Liru Walk about half way ro
the Mala Walk. Other noteworthy birds- I had several vocal Chiming Wedgebills
at the Kata Tjuta Sunset Viewing area- one gave me the opportunity to watch him
at leisure while he foraged and sang; I also had Black-chested Buzzard nearly
everytime I visited the area around the Cultural Center; and White-backed
Swallows were nesting as close as 15 kms to Yulara along the Lasseter HIghway.

I totally missed Slaty-backed Thornbill despite looking in what I thought were
all the right places. Also no sign of Grey Honeyeater or any quail-thrushes.
But I loved being back in the Red Center and look forward to returning again.

God birding, Alan

AJ Knue

Seattle, Washington, USA