birding-aus

ID help- Wonga or White headed pigeon in Brisbane?

To: 'Chris Sanderson' <>, Belinda Cassidy <>
Subject: ID help- Wonga or White headed pigeon in Brisbane?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:41:11 +1100
I've only seen Wonga Pigeons around Bright, in Victoria. When flushed from the
ground they often end up in a tree, and I've often seen them sitting in trees
and on fences around the edge of town. These ones don't flush easily, I suspect
people feed them, so this might not be typical behaviour.

They do tend to face away from me when they land after flushing, like Belinda
described, and I was under the impression that was typical Wonga behaviour,
raising the tail and presenting the black and white vent as camouflage. (Did I
read that in P&K?) Not sure if White-headed Pigeons do that too.

Peter Shute