birding-aus

Bar-tailed Godwit feeding behaviour

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Bar-tailed Godwit feeding behaviour
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:06:31 +1100
While at Mallacoota a couple of years ago I took some video of Bar-tailed
Godwits feeding.  They were on the ocean surf beach, feeding on the sand as the
waves receded after breaking on the beach. The birds ran down the beach probing
as the water receded, then scrambled back up the beach as the next wave
approached. I saw at least one bird extract a substantial  length of worm,
probably Australonuphis teres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkxvuj3FOhk

 At the time we just thought it was humorous, but on reconsidering I am
wondering if it was an unusual place for them to feed. On any other occasions I
have seen them feeding it has always on "quiet" beaches or mud flats.

Regards

Roger Giller