birding-aus

Great Bowerbird Behaviour

To: <>
Subject: Great Bowerbird Behaviour
From: "Broome Bird Observatory" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:51:46 +0800
I've been watching a new bower (Gt Bowerbird) here at BBO where the male has
decorated with the usual white shells and picking a few fresh green bauhinia
leaves to lay out at the entrance.  Then, when the female comes to inspect
and starts to enter the bower, he hops around to the other end and picks up
a twig, about the size of my little finger, which he rapidly waves up and
down, seeming to try to get her attention, or maybe to show off his
strength.  I haven't read of this stick waving behaviour in HANZAB and
wondered if anyone else has seen it.

Toni

Peter Struik and Toni Marsh | Wardens | Broome Bird Observatory
 <>

https://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/images/stories/balogo-emailsig.png

Broome Bird Observatory, PO Box 1313, Broome WA 6725
Tel: (+61 8) 9193 5600
 <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/> www.birdsaustralia.com.au |
<http://www.birdata.com.au/> www.birdata.com.au |
<http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/> www.birdsinbackyards.net |
www.broomebirdobservatory.com
Australian Partner of BirdLife International

ABN: 87 004 076 475 | Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union
DISCLAIMER: Privileged and confidential information or data may be contained
in this message. If you are not the intended addressee indicated in this
message, you may not copy or deliver this message or take an action in
reliance on it. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by return email. Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of
Birds Australia shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
Birds Australia accepts no liability for any damage caused in the
transmission, receipt or opening of this message and any files transmitted
with it.