birding-aus

Letter-winged Kites

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Letter-winged Kites
From: Alistair McKeough <>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:45:58 +1000
Gary kindly sent me more precise details, and I am hoping to get out there
with my wife, kids and Dad.

I appreciate it Gary.

I think the chilling effect that the much feared egg collectors (sound a bit
like the bogey man to me) have on legitimte birders looking for information
to plan trips around probably does more harm than any actual collections! My
guess would be that photographers are far more likely to disturb breeding
than poachers. I've never seen or even heard of a poacher, but I've seen
many photographers flush birds, approach nests closely and use playback
around nesting sites. Many of those photographers are "in the club" and
people who would probably have sensitive information shared with them
without hesitation. As most of you know, I am also a fairly keen bird
photographer, so I'm not slinging mud.

For reasonably well known sites like the one mentioned here, I'd assume any
serious hunters already know about it and, to be honest, the very cliquey
approach to only sharing information about rare sightings with "those in the
know" is one of the less attractive aspects of birding.

Alistair