birding-aus

Red-necked Phalarope on Rottnest Island

To: <>
Subject: Red-necked Phalarope on Rottnest Island
From: Henry Cook <>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:32:18 +1000
G'day all,
Just a short note to let those that are interested know that the Red-necked
Phalarope is still hanging around Lake Baghdad on Rottnest Island. I spent 2
hours on the southern side of the lake switching between scanning for phalarope
and trying to shelter from the occasional shower of rain. It was only when I
cycled further around did I see the little blighter in the foam with his banded
stilt friends. That location was more or less opposite to the turn off to
"Little Parakeet Bay/Beach". I later found him/her with a roost of banded stilt
further around, but still close to the road.
I managed a few photos in the wind. Yes, thats foam and not snow in one of the
photos. They are here: http://www.pbase.com/nephrurus/rednecked_phalarope
Other birds: A single red-necked avocet with the stilts, a mob of ruddy
turnstones, A single plover of some description (likely pacific golden), a few
red-necked stints and red-capped plovers. Peafowls around the shops, a couple
of female/non-breeding pheasants flushed as I was riding around. Lots of
western gerygones calling. A red-capped robin was a pleasant surprise.
Best of luck to all that head over searching.  -Henry