birding-aus

Birdsville Track conditions & birding

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birdsville Track conditions & birding
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:09:00 +1000
Hi everyone,
Just updating you all with my travels along the Birdsville Track and correcting
the email address I included in my last email.

Sharon Oldfield of Cowarie Station (51km ne of Mungerannie) can contacted on
 She would be best to contact about conditions along the
track, especially access to her property, which is not on the Birdsville Track,
but an offshoot of it.

It seems I left just in time to get out.  I left on Wednesday 1st September and
it rained about 58mm at Etadunna and 80mm at Marree the next day.  The roads
were closed again and there probably was rain there again this week, as there
has been at where I am currently based - at Mt Skinner Station about 200km ne
of Alice Springs.

On the way out of Etadunna I found a large flock of Inland Dotterels (60+)   -
a sight worth stopping for.  I had only seen them as individuals or pairs
before.  I capped off my trip there quite nicely!  There were also more Orange
and Crimson Chats at the same stop.  Birds were every where.

They were much scarcer the other side of Lake Eyre on the way to Coober Pedy.
It didn't seem to have had as much rain as the eastern side.  This was
confirmed by a couple of birders I met at Erldunda who had travelled up the
Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta.

Cheers for now

Elizabeth Shaw
(usually)Phillip Island,Victoria