birding-aus

FW: ABC Documentary on Black Cockatoos - In Production

To: Birding Aus <>, Bo Beolens <>
Subject: FW: ABC Documentary on Black Cockatoos - In Production
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:58:34 +0930
Dear all
I¹ve just viewed the shorts of this production, on the life cycle of a
family of Carnaby¹s Cockatoos, and it blew my socks off (or would have had
our weather been cooler!).

This documentary is the work of Leighton de Barros, a brilliant
cinematographer,  and his partner Jodie.  Leighton, who worked on the series
Big Cat Diary, also produced Whale Patrol, one of the best docos I have ever
seen.

Some years ago Leighton and I worked together on a documentary filmed on my
relatives¹ country, Baby Dreaming, in Arnhem Land. His courage, humour and
basic decency endeared him to us all.  He takes  those qualities into his
films along with stunning cinematography and a great story.

But be warned.  As with Whale Patrol - he doesn¹t pull any punches, and the
sight of a dead cockatoo (shot, I might add) will upset some.   However, I
think the juxtaposition of life and death, shooter and the teams of people
trying to pull the Carnaby¹s back from the brink of extinction make
compelling viewing.  Rarely have I been able to say that about a wildlife
documentary (I¹d rather be in the bush than sitting back in the comfort of
my home viewing it on a small screen).

I wouldn¹t  miss this documentary for the world, and I¹ll be adding it to my
Christmas shopping list.  I¹d better add that I¹ve no financial interest in
this film.

--
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
PO Box 3460 NT 0832, AUSTRALIA

Birdwatching and Indigenous tourism consultant
PhD Candidate
Interpreter/transcriber, Lonely Planet Guide to Aboriginal Australia

Research survey:
For American birders -
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h3NCqTwur3H_2bPlbFtk_2bSpw_3d_3d

http://www.denisegoodfellow.com.au
http://www.earthfoot.org
www.fatbirder.com/
For copies of Birds of Australia¹s Top End or Quiet Snake Dreaming, visit
amazon.com