birding-aus

Pink Robin and Scarlet Honeyeater, Darebin Park, Ivanhoe Vic.

Subject: Pink Robin and Scarlet Honeyeater, Darebin Park, Ivanhoe Vic.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 20:08:00 +1000
For those who don't know it, Darebin Park lies on the Darebin Creek, part in Ivanhoe, part in Alphington. Its deep valley has Silurian sedimentary rocks with tilted strata on the east side and basalt on the west. Larger birds, such as Magpies and Red Wattlebirds are easily found here.

Smaller birds are not always easy to find but in the undergrowth next to the Creek at the northern end of the Park I found a mixed flock - Eastern Spinebill, Superb Fairy-wrens, Brown Thornbills and a Pink Robin - a brown bird with distinct buff wing markings and no visible markings on the tail. It zipped uphill among the basalt rocks, and I scrambled up as soon as I could find a climbable spot - only to see it fly downhill again and across the creek into dense growth.

Further downstream, below the concrete bridge, the path on the west side brought White-plumed Honeyeaters, White-browed Scrubwrens and a large flock of Silvereyes - the Tasmanian subspecies with tan flanks. These arrived all buzzing and calling and dived into some large Boxthorn bushes, where they dashed about feeding for some time. They were moving in a dense pack and I suspect they will soon be heading south.

Later as I climbed the Pine Ridge on the Ivanhoe side to go home, I stopped to get my breath near the first seat - and saw a small bird alight on a bare tree-top on the south side of the Ridge. Binocs showed a female Scarlet Honeyeater - which then dashed across the ridge to drop towards the Creek on the north side.

  Anthea Fleming