birding-aus

Question...Black-breasted Buzzard

To: "Roger Giller" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Question...Black-breasted Buzzard
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:02:48 +1000

Roger

I saw the same behaviour at the Alice Springs Desert Park in 1997.  We were
told that the performing Black-breasted Buzzard was raised in captivity and
had never seen emu eggs being broken, ie it is innate behaviour.

Regards

David

             "Roger Giller"
             <
             .com.au>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  "Mike Carter"
             birding-aus-bounc         <>, "Chris
                       Sanderson"
                                       <>, "John
                                       Garvin" <>
             30/08/10 05:56 PM                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Birding-Aus] Question...

I saw the same thing in the raptor display at the Alice Springs Desert Park

in 2007. I also was as impressed as Mike and mentioned it to several people

since then. It is also featured at Taronga Zoo according to the B-A
archives.
I have a vague recollection that some-one said it was a "circus trick" or
similar, and not natural behaviour. I am now wondering if this was untrue
given that the same behaviour is demonstrated at three widely separated
institutions.

Roger Giller.