birding-aus

RFI:Hosts for New Guinea Cuckoos

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI:Hosts for New Guinea Cuckoos
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:07:56 +1000
Researching for my New Guinea Field Guide project, I have been struck by the almost total vacuum on which species are used in New Guinea as hosts for the various brood parasite cuckoos. Any information on which species are used by the following would be invaluable. In 7 years residence and now over 50 tours there, I find I can contribute depressingly little in the way of first hand observations!

Dwarf Koel is it actually a parasite?
Asian Koel-Hosts of this brood parasite in New Guinea are remarkably poorly known. Island Myna may be a host on the Bismarcks, whilst cuckooshrikes and larger honeyeaters are amongst hosts of the allospecies in Australia.
Eastern Koel- no NG data!

White--crowned Cuckoo (Koel)- unknown, presumed to be a parasite

Fan-tailed Cuckoo- Large Scrubwren is known so far
Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo-Grey-green Scrubwren so far
Brush Cuckoo- slightly better with ), Yellow-bellied Sunbird (Nectarinia jugularis), Yellow-tinted (Lichenostomus flavescens) and Brown-backed Honeyeater (Ramsayornis modestus) and Lemon-bellied Flyrobin (Microeca flavigaster).

Long-billed Cuckoo- still nothing known about hosts
Rufous-throated Bronze Cuckoo- ditto
White-eared Bronze Cuckoo- ditto
Little Bronze Cuckoo known to utilize Large-billed Gerygone (G. magnirostris) in NG but remarkably poorly known.

Any observations will be fully acknowledged, I hardly expect a rush but to avoid clogging birding-aus please reply direct to me
Thanks

Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House
P.O. Box 387
Kuranda