birding-aus

Thanks re. help with WA targets in early August 2010

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Thanks re. help with WA targets in early August 2010
From: robert morris <>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 01:41:39 +0000
Dear All

just a quick note to thank everyone who responded to me re. my requests for
help on a few selected species in SW WA. I managed to see all the SW WA
endemics (not Western GP of course!) during the trip, and saw all but one of my
target species / sub-species:

Long-billed Black Cockatoos - 100s in the Armidale area
Western Corella - 100s of both forms (New Norcia / Rocky Gully)
Western Whipbirds - prolonged views of 2 different birds sitting out singing
for several minutes on 2 consecutive mornings at Cheyne Beach
Mallee (Western) Whipbird - male siting out in the open singing in Sterling
Range NP
Noisy Scrub-birds - numerous views in the open and in the bins for the first
time!
Slaty-backed Thornbill - numerous in the Paynes Find / Cue area
Soft-plumaged Petrels - many on the Hilary's Trip inc. dark phase birds

Western (Rufous) Fieldwren - excellent views in the Sterling Range NP - so
different to the birds I've seen in the SA deserts - the SW WA birds are more
reminicsent of Striated Fieldwren in many ways.
Thick-billed (Western) Grasswren - easy at Monkey Mia in the Car park as usual!
Western - Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush - distinctly different to the Qld
birds I'm use to seeing.

I got good photos of everything except noisy scrub-bird! Just blurrs of the
latter!

The only target I missed was Grey Honeyeater - I spent 1 1/2 days looking and I
couldn't even string one with poor views!!!!! I got good on all the thornbills,
redthroats, etc. etc.

thanks

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia