birding-aus

Oodnadatta, Strezlecki & Birdsville Tracks

To: Paul G Dodd <>
Subject: Oodnadatta, Strezlecki & Birdsville Tracks
From: Elizabeth Shaw <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:57:46 +1000
HI Everybody,
I am currently stranded at the homestead of Etadunna Station staying with
friends who are managers here.  It rained here fairly solidly for about 24
hours  with about 16mm of rain.  Further up the Track and over toward Innaminka
they got about 60mm. It was treacherous to even walk anywhere here yesterday
afternoon, but is drying up, but it may take a few days to be dry enough for
the roads are opened.  A neighbour stuck here from Cowarie (next to Kalamurina
Station) says it will be at least 10 days before the Mungerannie to Birdsville
road will be opened.  For further road conditions in the area check the SA road
authority website and/or ring the Mungerannie Pub (08) 8675 8317 for really
local conditions.  The Track to Mungerannie could be open sooner as there was
less rain on the southern part of the Track.

Sharon from Cowarie also says there are Letter-winged Kites nesting at both her
place and the Mungerannie Bore Drain.  Cowarie also has Grey, Short-billed,
Striated and Eyrian Grasswrens, Yellow Chats and Grey Goshawks - but access to
them is impossible as long as the northern part of the Birdsville Track is
closed at least.  Their property is open to birdwatchers for camping and motel
accomodation is available at the Mungerannie Hotel (about 50km away).

Anyone coming this way may be interested to know that helicopter joy flights
along the Cooper to Lake Eyre and around the Birdsville Track and boat trips
are available at the punt, where about 37 campers are stranded (not even a
nearby pub!)  There are Black-tailed Native Hens and Pink-eared Ducks with
young everywhere.  I haven't got to the punt yet - lets hope it will  dry up
enough to get there before I leave in a week's time (road conditions
permitting.  Even small falls of rain here at the moment make life very sticky!

Cheers
Elizabeth Shaw
Usually from Phillip Island, Vic, currently Etadunna Station, Birdsville Track,
SA.

PS I have no personal or financial interest in any of the businesses mentioned
above - just providing current situation.