birding-aus

Greatly improved weather maps on BOM site

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Greatly improved weather maps on BOM site
From: Jim Smart <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:44:28 +1000
 Hello Birding-Aus people,

A while back the Bureau of Meteorology changed the appearance of its website.
Until today I had not explored the site. It has has brilliant new interactive
charts
that bird watchers planning an outing, camp or pelagic could find very useful.

The main interactive map page is:
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml

This gives the current pressure and rainfall plus predictions for the next six
days.

The options in the box labelled chart properties reveals a large number of
additional maps.
The scale ranges from global down to individual state level. Variables mapped
include
pressure and rainfall, temperature, humidity and wind direction.
The map labelled WAVEWATCH III-G Australia gives current and predicted sea wind
speeds
and wave heights.

 See:
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/viewer/index.shtml?domain=combinedW&type=sigWaveHgt

I suggest birdwatchers would benefit knowing about and using the data the Bureau
of Meteorology is now providing to us

Most Australians do not know how excellent our meteorology services are.
Detailed weather maps seemed to be a state secret when I was living in Britain
in 2008. Last time I was in New Zealand the maps existed but you
had to pay a fee to use the data.

Three cheers for the Australian BOM site!

Jim Smart
East Maitland   NSW