birding-aus

Seminar in Alice Springs

Subject: Seminar in Alice Springs
From: Land for Wildlife <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 13:14:22 +0930
Hi All,
Seeing as there are possibly a few birders waiting for permits in Alice Springs today, I thought this seminar presented by Bruce Pascoe may interest you this afternoon.

Rangeland Biology and Ecology Seminars
August 20th, Friday, 3.30 at Charles Darwin University
Lecture Theatre HE, Alice Springs

3.30pm                                    Lauren Young
BSc. Honours proposal, CDU, Alice Springs

The influence of buffel grass invasion on habitat use and seed preference of birds in semi-arid central Australia.

4.00pm                                    Bruce Pascoe
Ongoing PhD study, CDU, Alice Springs

Community ecology of birds in Acacia shrubland areas of Alice Springs.

Both Lauren and Bruce would appreciate feedback from the science and land management community on their projects.

Directions: Take the second entrance along Grevillia drive next to the childcare centre (not the main Centralian college entrance), and go past the Greening Australia/CDU nursery. The HE building is straight ahead on the left next to the grape vines and in front of the oval. There is parking in front of the building. The lecture theatre is on the ground floor just inside the doors to the right. Alternate entry to the room is upstairs into the back of the room.

Cheers
Ilse

Ilse Pickerd
Land For Wildlife &
Garden for Wildlife Coordinator
Low Ecological Services P/L
P.O. Box 3130, (Lot 1858 Isotoma Road,)
Alice Springs, N.T. 0871, Australia
ph (08) 89 555 222,  Fax 08-89 555 722
Email:

Hi all,
Two seminars this Friday at 3.30 at CDU lecture Theatre.
Lauren Young will talk about impact of Buffel Grass on bird habitat use and seed selection at 3.30 followed by Bruce Pascoe talking about community ecology of birds in the Acacia shrublands.

Both students at CDU would appreciate comments from people on their projects for their BSc Honours and PhD projects, respectively.

September looks like a busy month for conferences and workshops and watch for the workshop on Sept 7th on recovering lost knowledge of culture and land spearheaded by visiting African archaeologist John Kinahan.

Cheers,
Bill

>( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- ) :-)
>Dr. Bill Low
>Low Ecological Services P/L
>P.O. Box 3130, (Lot 1858 Isotoma Road)
>Alice Springs, N.T. 0871, Australia
>ph (08) 89 555 222,  Fax 08-89 555 722
>Mobile: 041 787 0868,
>Web: www.LowEcol.com.au
>( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- )  ( :- ) :-)

Ilse Pickerd
Land For Wildlife &
Garden for Wildlife Coordinator
Low Ecological Services P/L
P.O. Box 3130, (Lot 1858 Isotoma Road,)
Alice Springs, N.T. 0871, Australia
ph (08) 89 555 222,  Fax 08-89 555 722
Email:

Don't forget to check out the LfW & GfW website at www.lowecol.com.au, you can download membership application forms, newsletters, vegetation type species lists, and find out about upcoming workshops!
Become a member today!
Land for Wildlife - is a voluntary program that assists landholders nationally to value, improve and conserve biodiversity on their property. Garden for Wildlife - is a Land for Wildlife scheme focusing on urban properties within the Alice Springs township.