birding-aus

Princess Parrot irruption.

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: Princess Parrot irruption.
From: "Richard Johnstone" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:58:27 +1000
To add to this thread:
I've only seen Princess Parrots once, a pair in October 1995 on a work field trip, collecting plants. The birds seen were in Marble Gum (Eucalyptus gongylocarpa) woodland in sand dune country, c. 60 km northeast of Queen Victoria Spring in the Great Victoria Desert, WA. One species that was in heavy flower at the time was Leptosema chambersii, although I didn't see any parrots near them. Another plant that also has reddish flowers at ground level, Grevillea secunda, was also common in more open areas, co-occurring with the Leptosema. These are both presumably bird pollinated, although I would have imagined that honeyeaters would have a greater association with them, but maybe that's an incorrect assumption.
Richard.