birding-aus

re Princess Parrot irruption

To: brian fleming <>, Jeff Davies <>, Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: re Princess Parrot irruption
From: Ian May <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:13:11 +0930
This list is the most amazing interactive aid and never ceases to amaze me with its usefulness. Thanks to Anthea and Brian Fleming and also Jeff Davies for identifying the plant I have described as important to Princess Parrot. It is Leptosema chambersii or Upside-down Plant. I have updated the pictures. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/oo000oo/sets/72157624733435776/

The birds nip off the flowers near the base leaving a horizontal stump of stem clusters. Not sure if they are seeking moisture or nectar however the base oozes moisture after they have cropped it. Their preference appears to be flowers no more than two or three days old rather than older mature flowers The birds are doing this at all times of the day independent of visible morning condensation or dew on the plants.

Regards

Ian