birding-aus

Hardest to find

Subject: Hardest to find
From: "Frank O\"Connor" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:57:29 +0800

With more thought I amend it to :

1. Western Ground Parrot (heard it several times on surveys)
2. Buff-breasted Button-quail (missed this)
3. Plains Wanderer (without Phil Maher)
4. Grey Falcon (only seen twice at Broome and SW Queensland)
5. White-throated Nightjar (only seen once near Julatten)
6. Superb Fruit-Dove (my 'bogey' bird which I have only seen once at Cape York)
7. King Quail (again only seen once, near Kununurra)
8. Scarlet-chested Parrot (only seen once in two attempts but maybe the Neale Junction area is now a good chance) 9. Princess Parrot (saw lots on the Canning Stock Route in 1992, but since then it has been much harder to find - again maybe Neale Junction area) 10. Bush-hen (only seen twice in N Queensland at Julatten and Daintree on consecutive days)

For other proposed species :
1. Noisy Scrub-bird is easy at Cheyne Beach
2. Rufous-crowned Emu-wren is fairly easy at Millstream Chichester NP, Karajini NP, and I have even seen it in Queensland at the first place we looked. 3. Red-chested Button-quail can be fairly easy in the Kimberley in the wet season
4. Masked Owl sometimes have a stakeout
5. Lewin's Rail is right up there (another 'bogey' bird - saw two on Brunie Island in Tasmania, but missed at about half a dozen other possible places) 6. Mallee Whipbird is easy at several places in the south west. Western Whipbird is harder but there are a couple of places where it can be seen now. 7. White-throated Grasswren is probably right up there. It used to be a good chance at Gunlom, but I have heard that it is very hard to find there now. 8. Australasian Painted Snipe is up there, but it gets reported annually. McNeil Claypan at Carnarvon is always a good chance when it has water, but needs a 4WD to get around the back.
9. Black Grasswren just needs time and patience at Mitchell Falls
10. Spotted Whistling-Duck might be up there, but I have heard it is fairly easy at Weipa at the right time of year, but Weipa is out of the way. 11. Oriental Cuckoo is a migrant. Yes, we could include them, but then where do you stop at when is a migrant a vagrant, and that opens up seabirds which could fill the list. Besides, Oriental Cuckoo is usually quite easy in the botanic gardens in Darwin late in the year. 12. Northern Shrike-tit might be up there. But if you do a trip of the north Kimberley with George Swann, you will almost certainly see one.

Only counting resident species :

1. Western Ground Parrot
2. Buff-breasted Button-quail
3. Plains Wanderer (without Phil Maher)