birding-aus

Princess Parrots issue

To: <>
Subject: Princess Parrots issue
From: Amanda Markham <>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:58:49 +0930

Hi all,

I've been sitting on the side lines. I'm the manager of anthropology at an
agency which protects sacred sites across the entire NT and a dabbler in
birding. I rarely post on this forum, although I often  see lots of birds in
the Centre that people want to tick off their 'life' lists.

In regards to sacred sites: there are many sacred sites in Central Australia
that you most certainly CAN stumble into and potentially damage or break strict
customs. Certain trees, particular hills, most water sources are indeed sacred
sites. There are ways of avoiding sacred sites in the NT (you obtain a register
inspection map from the Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority - which holds a
register of sacred sites for all forms of land tenure in the NT, for purpose of
site avoidance). If people are entering sacred sites without permission, then
you can be prosecuted under the NT Sacred Sites Act in addition to the fine for
entry into Aboriginal Land.
The NT has very strict laws in regards to sacred sites - no matter
where they are.

In regard to the Aboriginal land permits issue - I can only say that the Land
Council must have been overwhelmed with 80 permit applications -goodness only
know what the Traditional Owners thought! Given that people had already gone in
there without permits... no wonder the answer was no.

Asking first and giving Traditional Owners more time to think -and Land Council
staff more time to plan these things into their workloads- may have resulted in
a better outcome.

All of us who deal with site clearances, permits etc up here are extremely
overloaded at the moment due to a number of very large projects (like the
Intervention/mining/Broadband cable). It's not fair when people from interstate
say to us 'drop everything, this is urgent' and we're expected to order our
staff to change their work programs, reallocate vehicles, cancel fieldwork
that's been planned for months. Remote area fieldwork is also expensive - the
fieldwork to clear these permits would have cost several thousand dollars -
staff wages, fuel, travel time etc. In many cases, you can't just call
Traditional Owners up on the phone. You need to drive out several hundred km
and find the people you need to talk to. Thus, the costs for the permit would
in no way cover the expenses incurred in securing it.

Yet, what I don't understand is why birders aren't turning to the Centre's well
known national parks for help?

You will probably find Princess Parrots in Watarrka National Park at the
moment. Has anyone called the rangers to ask? 08 8956 7460 . You could also try
Kings Creek Station and see if they've noticed any.

There are also Bourke Parrots on the far too infrequently visited Owen Springs
Reserve right now - just off Larapinta Drive, about 15km west of the main Owen
Springs access entrance. We've seen them.

I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few Princess Parrots in the far
western end of the West MacDonnell National Park and around Tnorala (Gosse)
Bluff Conservation Reserve. You could call the Ormiston Gorge Ranger Station:
08 8956 7799 and ask.

Also, the manager at Glen Helen Resort is a keen birder. May I also suggest
calling him up to see if he's seen any Princess Parrots near Glen Helen Gorge?

Finally, why not consider doing a 3 day trip around the Sandy Blight Track? If
you are serious and desperate to see them, then this is THE best place. This is
where I saw my first Princess Parrots in the wild three years ago - it's
absolutely brilliant country and the permits are issued within 5 days without
the need for consultation. You need to get one from CLC and from the
Ngaanyatjarra Land Council (08 8950 1711) for the WA portion. As this is a
remote area, I would recommend that you have 4WD experience, hire a sat phone
and travel in a group of cars.

I hope this is helpful and hopeful information,

Amanda