birding-aus

Lovely Fairy-wrens' communication.

Subject: Lovely Fairy-wrens' communication.
From: Del Richards <>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 10:46:14 +1000
The Lovely Fairy-wren is an uncommon species widespread in denser vegetation throughout much of tropical northern Queensland. It can occurr in rainforest, riperian vegetation and mangroves. Unlike many other members of the genus it is generally silent and difficult to locate. Most parties forage in an area of up to three hectares and much of their day is spent in vegetation up to twelve metres above the ground. In both sexes this fairy-wren fans it's tail at every movement which shows a series of six spots visible from both forward and behind the bird and this serves as a visual "locator" between members of the group. (They in all probability have calls which are not audible to our hearing). In the breeding months their calling is low key and at times males carry red or yellow petals in courtship. I have found that some males will not take food to the nest whilst being under observation but others are not shy at all. The bird featured on our website is attending a nest feeding a nestling Brush Cuckoo.

Del. Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.

Database version: 6.14880
06:35:00