birding-aus

border ranges

To: <>
Subject: border ranges
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:49:35 +1000
Following several recent positive reports about the Border Ranges National
Park and the Sheepstation Creek camping area, I spent a few days there this
week. It was the first time I had been to the area since the 1970s, when
efforts were underway to secure the protection of the nearby Levers Plateau.
This is indeed a fine area for birds, and surely rivals O'Reilly's, having
the same birds, better camping and significantly less driving time from
Brisbane. I saw a male and a female Albert's Lyrebird separately with many
others calling, and things like Paradise Riflebird, Noisy Pitta,
Russet-tailed Thrush and Logrunner were in good numbers. The pittas had
presumably just returned from their winter quarters in the lowlands as they
were quite vocal - perhaps an indication of an early Spring in the air. A
Sooty Owl was also vocal about the campground. I heard an Olive Whistler at
the Antarctic Beech lookout on the scenic drive above the campground and the
habitat looked good for scrubbirds, although I didn't hear any. I'd be
interested in hearing from anyone who has heard or seen the scrubbird in
this area.
Greg Roberts