birding-aus

Alexandrine Parakeet in North Adelaide, SA

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Alexandrine Parakeet in North Adelaide, SA
From: Philip Griffin <>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 01:09:21 +0930
Greetings,

I heard a strange parrot noise around my house a couple of times today
before finally getting to see the bird at about 5pm.

When I went inside to get binoculars, the bird moved but I quickly found it
again
and it was clearly one of the Rose-ringed/Alexandrine type Parakeets.

The light was bad, but I took some photos which showed the bird to have
a large beak and dark red looking patch on the secondary coverts, which
(to my understanding) fairly conclusively makes it an Alexandrine Parakeet.
Should anyone be interested, I can post some of the photos.

I don't know how long it will last out of captivity, but for those in the
area,
it was on the SE corner of Jeffcott Street and Barton Terrace West in North
Adelaide.

Cheers

Philip