birding-aus

Princess Parrots near Mt Winter, Northern Territory

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Princess Parrots near Mt Winter, Northern Territory
From: Ian <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:23:52 +0930
Hi all

It is pleasing to report that on Friday 23rd July 2010 Pat and I located good numbers of Princess Parrots frequenting an area of more than 100 sq. km within the Northern Territory between Yulara and Mt Liebig within a geographic area that could be described as the eastern Gibson Desert. The minimum number of birds observed were estimated to be more than 100 but it is probable there were many morein the area. The birds were very active and had formed numerous flocks of mostly 12 to 20 birds. One flock comprised more than 60 birds. At about 1030 am on Friday morning while driving east along a remote abandoned seismic track a flock of about 15 Princess Parrots flushed noisily from vegetation in front of us. Calling loudly they allowed great views before heading south west. In a state of excitement we searched the surrounding dunes for more birds without success and after about an hour we continued traveling east. After traveling about 4 km further east we flushed another flock of about 20 birds. We decided to camp at this location and at about 4.30 pm while looking south across a broad valley between the dunes several flocks of from 12 to 20 birds were observed simultaneously wheeling in from various directions and merging to an area about 300 meters from me where they landed to commence feeding. Minimum estimate of 100 birds in the area on Friday. On Saturday 24th, as we were driving out we came across several birds then a flock of more than 60 perched in full view on a dead desert oak. Many birds were on the ground feeding among spinifex covered sanddunes while others were perched in Desert Oak. There are many flowering Gravilliar, Cassia, Eromophila and acaia in the area. It is hard to estimate numbers accurately because they are so mobile however there could be several hundred in the area

We have just resupplied at Alice Springs and now stopped at Erldunda to send this email message before heading back out therein about 20 minutes and out of phone and internet range. Sorry if this message is a bit rushed but as we speak storm clouds are brewing to the south west so we could be in for a wet night. We are heading out to the site hopefully to take some more photos. Meeting Geoff Jones and Don Hadden at Mereenie Oil Fields on the way. I will post full details including GPS coordinates when we return in about a week.

Regards

Ian May