birding-aus

Re: Birding-Aus RARITIES PHONE NUMBER

To: <>
Subject: Re: Birding-Aus RARITIES PHONE NUMBER
From: "Martyn \(Birdpedia\)" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:34:36 +0930
Hi Russell,

The Birdpedia SMS Sighting Notification service is just that. The
subscription is NOT time based. It is SMS unit based. Just buy 100 SMS units
(currently AU$24 per 100 units) and you will receive reports as long as you
have units available. You can turn the service ON and OFF at will. Your
credits do NOT expire. Restrict your receipt of messages to rarities only if
you wish. As always the notification via email is free and immediate - there
is not mediator involved. You can send to multiple addresses at the same
time. You can contact the poster directly - you do not need to request
permission of contact information from Birdpedia. Being able to contact the
SMS sender however depends on them adding their mobile number to their
account (and not everybody does).

But in my opinion SMS notification will never really catch on. The short
length of the message limits the amount of data that can be sent. With new
phones you can receive emails directly on your phone - much more useful as
there are very few restrictions.

But, as you said the problem is that there are many reporting services and
not everybody reports. I doubt we can ever get around that.

Regards,

Martyn Price

Birdpedia.com