birding-aus

musk duck behaviour

To: <>
Subject: musk duck behaviour
From: "KAREN HUNT" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:47:27 +0800
This weekend I attended the BAWA lecture weekend in Perth, great job done by
all! Congratulations.

On the Saturday afternoon, I was observing some musk ducks at Herdsman Lake
and noticed some behaviour among the males which puzzled me.

One male was in the classic display position, tail erect, head back etc
while another not far away was not. The non-displaying male slowly swam up
to and around the displaying male, observing him with apparent great
interest.

The displaying male made no aggressive moves, simply kept displaying and
swimming back and forth and around the other.

This went on for about five minutes, with both males slowly swimming around
each other, then the displaying male slowly stopped his display and put down
his feathers.

The two males then swam away together, slowly, in roughly the same
direction.

Undoubtedly both of these ducks were male, and there were no females in
close proximity to the pair.

I'm told it's a bit early for courtship yet so I'm wondering if this is some
form of territorial marking - can anyone enlighten me?

Regards

Karen Hunt

Editor www.thebirdsnest.net.au