birding-aus

Orange-bellied parrot recovery program

To: <>
Subject: Orange-bellied parrot recovery program
From: "Peter Menkhorst" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:08:29 +1000
thanks to Simon Mustoe for his elaboration on the piece on Bird-O supporting
the Orange-bellied Parrot recovery program. My objection related to only one
sentence that gave a misleading impression about the strategy for bolstering
the captive colony. I asked only that that single inaccurate sentence be
removed, and I am grateful to Simon for acting very quickly on that request.

Regarding the level of Government support - the Orange-bellied Parrot recovery
program is one of the best resourced in the country. It has been funded, one
way or another, in most years since 1983. We (the recovery team) are often
accused of using more than our fair share of the resources available for
threatened species management, so we cannot continue to keep asking for more.
Most recently, we sought $260 000 from the Commonwealth to implement the
18-month Action Plan (of which the improvement of the captive population is a
component). This funding request came 'out of the blue' and outside the usual
funding cycle and process, yet the Minister for Environment provided the money
in full -  we cannot ask for more support than that.

cheers

Peter Menkhorst