birding-aus

Ashmore Reef 2010

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Ashmore Reef 2010
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:58:35 +1000
Hi all,

With all the talk about going to the outback this year, including mine, I
want to remind people of the Ashmore Reef trip. This year it is 16th
to 23rdOctober (I believe) and 2 of my birding friends are booked on
it. But it
seems there are still a couple of places available.

I did the trip last year and only wish I could do it again (other birds to
see this year). The boat is large, comfortable and you can either sleep in
an air-conditioned cabin or in one of four bunks on the main deck. I chose
the main deck because it was closer to the action. The food was brilliant
and the company better.

The other thing that never gets mentioned is the snorkelling. I have been to
Malaysia and the Great Barrier Reef and the lagoon at Ashmore leaves them
both for dead. Huge, brightly coloured corals, turtles, fish, giant clams
etc etc etc. It is superb! Take a mask and snorkle - flippers too if you
want but I didn't and found I didn't need them. It is all so compact that I
just drifted from place to place on the tide and didn't miss a thing.

Do I have shares in the boat or a commission on sales? No, I just want to
make sure the trip goes ahead and my two friends get to experience it all.

Oh, and like the outback at the moment – the sea birds are in flocks of many
many thousands.

Cheers

Jenny