birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:31:01 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Jul 2010.

Sat 17 Jul      Pacific Baza Pennant Hills
A flock of 4 Pacific Baza's sighted flitting amongst the local
neighbourhood Sydney Blue Gums
Phil Cuthbert

        Letter-winged Kite Burrumbuttock, NSW (36km NW of Albury)
Single adult letterwing kite seen by two experienced observers (one of
whom, DMW, has seen them before). Bird was seen in flight at a distance
of 100m and was seen for 1min. White tail, black shoulder (dorsal
surface) and black line (under surface) all clearly visable. Tern-like
flight with deep wing-beats. All pale primaries. Extremely pointed
wings. Further attempts to resight bird failed. Last seen flying SW
(towards Howlong). Bird seen on private property within the township of
Burrumbuttock, 36km NW of Albury)
David M. Watson and Maggie J. Watson

        Fairy Martin, Little Lorikeet, Osprey Walka Water Works,
Maitland
1 Osprey and 4 Little Lorikeets were additions to my Walka List. 2 out
of season Fairy Martins were flying at eye height with swallows. Not a
single Great-crested Grebe or Grey Teal seen.
Grant Brosie, Darryl Luck, Dan Allen

Thu 15 Jul      Ground Parrot, Southern Emu-wren, Tawny-crowned
Honeyeater Red Rock
Single Ground Parrot flushed from behind us as we were standing on a
track looking over the heath, then landed on track and proceeded to walk
along it providing prolonged views. Single Tawny-crowned heard, as was a
single Southern Emu-wren, which provided an annoyingly brief glimpse.
Single Swamp Harrier seen. No sign of Beach Stone-curlews at the
estuary, but Eastern Curlew, Whimbrel and Pied Oystercatchers present.
Peter Higgins & Michael Cheers

        Swift Parrots, Square-tailed Kite, Forest Raven Moonee Beach
Reserve, NSW
4 Swift Parrots seen this morning (possibly northernmost records so far
this season), among many Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and
smaller numbers of Musk Lorikeets. Swift Parrots were mainly feeding on
lerp and some blossom of Forest Red Gum and lerp and blossom of Grey
Ironbark. They were chased from four different trees by Noisy Miners,
which in abundance. This third visit to site since 18 June, with much
more flowering this time. A single Square-tailed Kite drifting over the
area an added bonus, and the presence of 2 Forest Raven unexpected.
Peter Higgins & Michael Cheers

Wed 14 Jul      Hooded Plover Tura beach
1 Hooded plover and 2 Red-capped plovers were resting on the beach of
Bournda National Park (Tathra-Merimbulla).
Robin de Lange

        Wonga Pigeon Irrawong Reserve
A Single bird seen for at least a Minute through binoculars. The first
time I've heard of them in Irrawong.
Nathan Ruser and Joshua Bergmark

        Southern Boobook Manly Lagoon
I looked out the window a few minutes ago and suddenly realised there
was a Boobook roosting in a tree right next to my lounge room!!!
Joshua Bergmark

Tue 13 Jul      New Holland Honeyeater Sydenham station
Feeding on grevilleas on centre platform at 8am, along with Red
Wattlebirds, with trains left right and centre.
Bruce Roubin

Mon 12 Jul      Great Egret Johnston's Creek, at Rozelle Bay, Glebe
fishing
David Watson

        Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike The Rocks , Sydney
A bird arrived here mid August last year and stayed around for a couple
of months. Possibly the same bird ?
Margret Sykes

        Figbirds (10) Blacktown Station
While walking to Blacktown station to catch the train this morning, I
saw a flock of 10 Figbirds all perched together in a leafless tree.
Withing the past 5 years, it appears that they have become a well
established resident in this part of Sydney and 10 birds is my highest
count for Blacktown so far. I see/hear them there just about every
morning and often beside the railway platform.
Edwin Vella

Sun 11 Jul      Striated Heron Bicentennial Park, Glebe
Daytime, stalking
Susan Copeland

        Red-chested Button-Quail, Diamond Dove, Superb Parrot Cobar
District
A Red-chested Button-quail was flushed on Cobar Common near racecourse
where Splendid, Variegated & White-winged Fairy-wrens and Double-bar
Finches were also seen; Diamond Doves, Mulga Parrots and Crested
Bellbirds seen on Louth Rd, Superb Parrot at Florida Tank rest area;
Mulga Parrots at Old Cobar Reservoir, White-backed Swallows at the Fort
Bourke Lookout; and Spotted Bowerbirds everywhere.
Alan Morris, Laurie Smith & Luke McPherson

        Blue-billed Duck Quipolly Dam Quirindi
Four adult Blue-billed Ducks with juveniles swimming around the reeds,
viewed from the hide
Edward G Kettle

        Litttle Eagle, Rose Robin Nurragingy Nature Reserve (near
Richmond Rd)
One Little Eagle was perching on a dead tree near Richmond Rd ( near
Eastern Creek). In the bush near the creek there was also one male Rose
Robin.
Ted Wnorowski

        White-winged chough, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Rose Robin,
Scally-breasted Lorikeet Windsor Downs Nature Reserve
Hundreds of birds (mostly honeyeaters - 10 species and lorikeets - all 4
species) were feeding on flowering ironbark gums. Among many flocks of
Musk and Rainbow lorikeets I found 3 Scally-breasted and 4 Little
Lorikeets. Brown-headed and Fuscous honeyeaters were very common. In the
patch of small gum trees threre were plenty Rose Robins. I counted 8
male birds around me. On side of the Sanctuary Dr. Masked Lapwing was
already breeding. I found a nest with two eggs on the ground (and very
noisy bird). I did not know that they can start to breed so early in the
season. Large flock (over 30 birds) of White-winged Choughs was feeding
among the houses.
Ted Wnorowski

        Glossy Black-Cockatoo, Olive-backed Oriole, Pacific Baza,
Pheasant Coucal Cattai National Park
A Pheasant Coucal was taking a bath in the puddle in the middle of the
road and did not mind my car. Four Glossy Black Cockatoo were feeding on
she-oaks near Hawkesbury river. There were a large flock (over 20 birds)
of Olive-backed Orioles feeding on white cedar berries. One Pacific Baza
was sitting on another white cedar tree and eating a small bird
(probably silvereye). On the the ground was flock of Little Corellas
with two hybrid birds (hybrid between Little Corella and Galah).
Bar-shouldered Dove (common) basking in the sun.
Ted Wnorowski

        Black-bellied Storm-petrel Off Port Stephens
Single Black-bellied Stormy amongst good numbers of White-faced Stormies
and Fairy Prions. Also 50+ Solander's Petrels and the expected Albatross
species.
Mick Roderick and 13 others

        Azure Kingfisher, Pink-eared duck, Black-tailed Native Swamphen
Bushells Lagoon, Hawkesbury
Very good selection of water birds and finches. Two back-tailed native
swamphens, small flock (5) of pink-eared ducks, azure kingfishers
everythere (over 10), small flock of southern emuwrens, nankeen night
heren (2), baillons crake (1), small flock of chestnut-breasted
mannikins, swam harrier (1) and many others.
Ted Wnorowski

Sat 10 Jul      Black Falcon, Spotted Harrier, Superb Parrot & Barking
Owl Nyngan District
3 seperate sightings of Back Falcon at Nyngan airport, Canonba Station
and between Fairview & Canoba HSD; 4 Spotted Harrier between Nyngan and
Canonba Station to the north-east; 2 Barking Owls & a Southern Boobook
on the Bogan River 4 km Sw of Nyngan, 4 Black Kites on the Bogan River
at Nyngan where Whistling Kites were nesting; 4 Superb Parrots nar
Miandetta; Sparrowhawk in Nyngan and Peregrine Falcon at Canonba.
Several calling Rufous Songlarks & 2 Sacred Kingfishers seen along the
Bogan River SW of Nyngan.
Laurie Smith, Luke McPherson & Alan Morris

        Pheasant Coucal Woy Woy Road (Brisbane Water National Park)
On the middle of the road near the top of the hill (about 1km from the
speed camera). Hit by car. I stopped, bird was still alive but not in a
good way. Called WIRES but died about 30 mins later. First sighting of
this species in BWNP for me. Not a good start to the upcoming breeding
season! (These birds are reasonably common on the Central Coast, in 2006
there were 20 reports from 10 sites! AKM)
Charles Hunter

Fri 9 Jul       Spotted Quail-thrush, Turquoise Parrot, Rufous Songlark,
Painted Button-quail, Sacred Kingfisher, Au Glen Davis Cell
Many interesting birds were observed over a four day period around Glen
Davis. Of note was one male Spotted Quail-thrush on private property
near Glen Davis, a pair of Turquoise Parrots, some Rufous Songlarks
SINGING (unusual for this time of year) and a Sacred Kingfisher at Crown
Station Road as well as 5 Painted Button-quail flushed at the start of
the Newnes track and an Australian Hobby near Glen Alice. Also the usual
array of Capertee birds with highlights at the campsite being a male
Hooded Robin, Restless Flycatchers, Brown Treecreepers, Little
Lorikeets, White-browed Babblers and some Australian Owlet Nightjars.
Joshua Bergmark and members of the BirdingOZ Campout

        Baillon's Crake, Brolga, Spotted Harrier Lona Farm Stay,
Coonamble & Quambone Area
A two day stay at Lona Farm Stay, 31 km SW of Coonamble and close to the
Quambone to Gulargumbone Rd, found 2 Brolgas on the property (5 on an
adjoing prioperty) , a Baillon's Crake, 2 Spotted Harrier & Diamond
Doves. At nearby Gulargumbone a Black Kite, and Banded Lapwings near
Quambone. Diamond Firetails, Hooded Robin and calling Rufous Songlarks
on the Gibson Way, leading through the Macquarie Marshes
Luke McPherson, Laurie Smith & Alan Morris

Sun 20 Jun      Pacific Baza, Little Eagles, Scarlet-Robins,
White-throated Gerygone Air Services Land, Shanes Park (approx. 10km
west of Blacktown CBD).
This morning Mark Fuller and I enjoyed some good birding at Shanes Park.
Highlights included a Pacific Baza foraging and feeding on phasmids (I
have seen the Bazas in the area on several occassions in the past), a
pair of Little Eagles (one light-phase and the other a dark-phase bird.
I have also seen both light and dark-phase birds together on another
occassion at Shanes Park), 2 Scarlet Robins (one male seen very well and
another heard calling), several Rose Robins, at least 2 Speckled
Warblers, Crested Shrike-tits, an over-wintering White-throated Gerygone
calling, Musk Lorikeets, 2 Shining Bronze-cuckoos, Varied Sitellas, at
least 10 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos, etc.
Edwin Vella & Mark Fuller

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea