birding-aus

Gouldian Finch near Katherine

To: "'Denise Goodfellow'" <>, "'John Penhallurick'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Gouldian Finch near Katherine
From: "Andrew Bell" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:39:04 +0930
Hi John

Have just driven home to Katherine from Darwin today. Watched a group of 12+
Gouldians, (two adults, the rest immature)  at the truck stop just south of
the Ferguson River (section of old road parallel to the highway) settling to
roost for the night in a small wooly-butt (E. miniata) right beside the old
road (from 6.00 to 6.30). There were other Gouldians's settling into  tree
tops along the car park in the fading light, along with much other activity
including a dead tree with a roost of about 12 bee-eaters, a similar number
of black faced woodswallows and one male hooded parrot.

The creek at this site the other side of the railway was very reliable for
Gouldians in the ealry morning last year

Cheers

Andrew Bell
Katherine