birding-aus

Birds Australia Eagle Cam News - Egg Week 2

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Birds Australia Eagle Cam News - Egg Week 2
From: Geoff Hutchinson <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 05:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
Birds Australia White-bellied Sea-eagle Study, using High Definition 1080p
Video.

It is week two from the time of the first egg laying, we have been looking
closely for any sign of a second egg and finally on Saturday we have seen the
second egg. We don't know when this egg was laid, it is much cleaner than the
first egg so it may have been a week or more later than the first.  I have
attached a link to the photo, female is on the left, there is just a glimpse of
the second egg, we have had lots more views of the second egg as they
rotate and move them around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghutcho/4763246543/sizes/l/

They have been spending a lot of time sitting on the eggs with the
female putting in most of the time, but the male is doing his fair share. He
brings in all the food for the female. It is interesting to see with
temperatures getting down to 4deg C that they do leave the eggs uncovered for
short periods of time.

We have not noticed any other bird (currawong, magpie, noisy miner) swoops
(attacks), this may start when these birds start to nest.

Don't forget to visit Birds Australia web site
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/eaglecam.html
to see the latest news, photos and videos.

A visit to the Birds Australia Discovery Centre will show you lots more live
video from the amazing High Definition Camera.

As part of this study we would like any sighting and photo if possible of any
Sea-Eagle within 100 kl of Homebush Bay, Sydney Olympic Park, we are trying to
see what the home range of the White-bellied Sea-eagle is. Any nest locations
would also be of benefit.
Info required:  location, date, time, direction travelled, activity, adult or
juvenile, number of birds, etc.

This study has been made possible with the help of Birds Australia, Sydney
Olympic Park Authority, Judy Harrington (SOPA & BA) Jon Irvine, Simon Musto and
the BA volunteers, thanks.

Geoff Hutchinson