birding-aus

sushine coast beach stone-curlews

To: Greg Roberts <>
Subject: sushine coast beach stone-curlews
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:00:53 +1000
Greg, thanks for that report, as last time we checked we couldn't find them. That's great.

And the Noosa pair are still there. Or they were last month.

We also had a pair on the north spit of Bribie Island at Caloundra, but haven't seen them for a while. The casuarina forest on the north spit is so dense that we could walk past them and not see them.

Cheers,

Jill
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S	152° 56' 00"E

Greg Roberts wrote:
This afternoon I saw two widely separated pairs of Beach Stone-Curlew on an
island in the Maroochy River estuary on the Sunshine Coast. With the cooler
weather, the birds are emerging earlier to feed. This species is rare in
southeast Queensland and it is encouraging that two pairs appear to be
holding fort at this site. With a pair also seemingly firmly established in
the Noosa River estuary, the Sunshine Coast is looking like a good place for
the species.
Greg Roberts
to: m("vicnet.net.au","birding-aus-request");">