birding-aus

Birding trip - Australia

Subject: Birding trip - Australia
From: John Owen <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:52:04 +1200
Hi everybody - we're hoping you can help with our Aus planning; it's our first trip for birding purposes so entirely green!

In November we are leaving New Zealand for an extended birding holiday in Australia; we plan to be there for approximately 4 months, maybe a little longer. We fly initially to Cairns in early November and will spend our first week at Cassowary House which includes 2 days guided birding. Beyond this our plan is pretty fluid. From Cairns we plan to hire a vehicle and drive south around the coast down as far as Melbourn where we will then take a flight to either Darwin or Perth; depending on the time of the year at this point i.e. Darwin only if the timing is post-wet season.

Any snippets of information on 'must visit' sites, local guides, general info etc will be gratefully received.

Many thanks, John & Georgina Owen
Te Awamutu
New Zealand