birding-aus

Fruit-doves (and similar) in Victoria

Subject: Fruit-doves (and similar) in Victoria
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:27:20 +1000
Paul, some further information for you.

a. East Gippsland BOC
Members of the East Gippsland Bird Observation and Conservation would be
worth talking to as fruit-doves turn almost regularly now in that part of
the state and I know many of the bird sightings from this area are not
reported to Birdline though most are formally recorded for the Atlas of
Victorian Wildlife.  In past discussions with rainforest biologists such
fruit-eating birds are now considered a natural part of East Gippsland
bird fauna.

Link - EGBOC - http://www.egboc.org.au/site/index.php

b. Atlas of Victorian Birds (1987)
It's always worth reading the entries in this old atlas, for habitat and
other information on Victorian birds.  The book has Superb, Rose-crowned,
Topknot, Brown Cuckoo-dove and Emerald Dove as the rainforest birds
recorded for Victoria at that time. Since then of course we've also had
White-headed Pigeon as a 'regualr' now for the state.

c. Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (AVW)
The AVW and Birds Australia atlasses would be interesting to interrogate
for distribution information as there are now many records of such species
now recorded from near Melbourne as well though I'm not aware of any
observations west of Melbourne.

If you turn up any records in your research that have not been atlassed be
sure to send them though for atlassing!  With climate change and
rainforest restoration we can expect increasing records of these species I
suspect.

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.