birding-aus

What to do with a dead owl?

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: What to do with a dead owl?
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:02:50 +1000

Phillip

Birds feigning death in order to achieve an ulterior motive is part of
folklore and, if I'm not mistaken, well-documented in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

Regards

David

             "Philip Veerman"
             <
             g.au>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  "'Peter Shute'" <>
             birding-aus-bounc                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] What to do with a
             25/06/10 12:25 PM         dead owl?

I think you don't know when you are being teased. Or maybe I don't know
when I am, to respond to such a silly thought.

The suggestion that "the bird was feigning death in order to lure down a
raptor to take as prey, and that it would have flown off as soon as it
had taken enough of them" is clearly drivel. The suggestion of that
behaviour is absurd. The suggestion that you could have moved it to
under a bush whilst it was feigning death, equally so.

Philip Veerman